ETIM-Mapper 5.4.0 User Manual
In practice, classification is performed most often on the basis of the pricelists – files containing the list of products. Except prices, these files usually contain values of some basic parameters that must be assigned to the appropriate parameters required by the ETIM standard.
To start the classification work, such list of products should be imported to the classification software.
The following options are available for the import of products existing already in the database (duplicate handling):
- merge (imported product fields will be overwritten, the other fields will remain unchanged*)
- replace (existing products will be entirely overwritten)
*please note for the "merge" option (in the case of existing product):
- importing an empty field value will delete the existing field value
- for the multiple elements (keywords, special product status, remarks, country branch number, country branch supplier ID, territory) imported value or values will delete all the existing values
- for the multiple containers (packaging, price, MIME) imported container will overwrite the appropriate containers according to their number and order. For example, if you are going to change only the information of the first container, simply import one container. If however, you intend to modify the information concerning the third container, you should import three containers (the first two – such as they were before without any change) and the third, with the modified values. Note also, that if you delete any container, the order of all containers following the deleted one, will be re-numerated, for example: if you delete the first container (importing all empty container elements is equal to erasing the container) the second container becomes the first, the third container becomes the second and so on
In order to speed up data transfer and to avoid problems with uploading large files (over 128MB) it is recommended to import compressed (zipped) files.
There are three approaches to import the product information to the classification software. The classification software automatically detects the input file for these approaches:
CSV import for classification from scratch – to start the classification work, the user should have a list of products to be classified, in a form of csv file. This file is imported into the classification software database. To prepare such a file, you can use existing price list or any list of products and adapt them to a format acceptable by the application (CSV file). The first line of the file should contain the header with field names. The following lines should contain product data (each line should correspond to a single product). Product information should contain a unique identifier for each product (for ex. the catalogue number, reference number, GTIN, etc.) as well as the most accurate description of the product parameters. In a similar way, you can prepare and import other non-technical product information (eg. pricing, ordering and packaging information, photos, certificates, etc.). Fields in a CSV file should be separated by semicolons. When you export data from Excel save the file in CSV format. Import of a product file is the first and mandatory step to start the classification process.
Fields mapping screen is used to indicate in the input file those fields that may be useful in product classification. Just for convenience, the first few lines of the imported files are displayed in the upper part of the screen, it can be helpful in the correct mapping of the data from your file to the fields required by the classification software. Columns identified in the file are displayed on the left side of the screen. These are the elements that we can be mapped (or associated) with the elements recognized by the application. Elements recognizable and "expected" by the application are placed in the middle and right column. The middle column shows the most important elements of products from the ETIM point of view (identification and technical information). Other expected items are grouped and placed on the right side of the screen.
User should indicate what file columns correspond to the expected elements of the product description. This is done by dragging fields from the left column and dropping them to the empty fields of the middle column. Fields can be dragged individually or in groups. To drag a group of elements, the elements must be selected. Elements can be selected by using the SHIFT key (continuous selection) or CTRL key (selective choice). The software requires that the product ID is always indicated, in every import. However, it is recommended to fill all the information that can be helpful in ETIM classification of products. In addition to the data required for ETIM classification it is recommended to provide additional information about products, which can be useful for contractors. These may be general information or ordering, logistics, packaging, pricing, multimedia information (eg. photos) or other types of useful information about the product for example information in foreign languages. Different categories of information can be expanded by clicking on their name, then the file fields can be dragged and dropped to the corresponding container within a given category.
Excel template-based classification import – if you know in advance the ETIM description of your products, you can generate the import templates (Excel files) for the corresponding ETIM class or classes. ETIM templates contain the structure of the ETIM classes with all required features and values to be used within this class. In this way, the whole ETIM classification can be prepared in Excel templates and then the template files filled with the product data can be imported into the classification software. It is the easiest and recommended way, under the condition that you know in advance the ETIM description of your products. In the same way it is possible to generate BMEcat template (Excel file) for product information, such as: general, ordering, packaging, pricing, MIME information and ETIM class codes. In similar way, the usage of the ETIM-Mapper template allows to import all product data used internally in ETIM-Mapper application, such as labels and technical description. All incorrect information is omitted during the import process, for example: values with incorrect header names, incorrect codes of ETIM classes, features or values, incorrect types of values, etc. To see how to generate Excel template files, go to the next section.
BMEcat file import – if you have previously classified product information in the BMEcat format (supported files in BMEcat version 1.2 and 2005), it is possible to import the whole classification automatically.
Properly filled templates can be imported into the classification software automatically. Actually there are two types of the templates:
ETIM data templates – to facilitate the preparation of structured product information it is possible to export the Excel templates files for any ETIM class (EC) or group of classes (EG). Template files contain a separate Excel sheet for each requested ETIM class with a two-rows header. The second row of the header contains a list of all features (EF) required by ETIM for the given class (each feature in a separate column) and the first row contains a list of possible values (EV) that can be used in each column.
BMEcat data template – it is possible to generate a template for structured BMEcat information (general, ordering, packaging, pricing, MIME and ETIM class information). There is only one BMEcat template file (the structure is common for any products, regardless on ETIM classification).
ETIM-Mapper data template – certain information is used internally in the ETIM-Mapper application (labels and technical description). With the ETIM-Mapper template it is possible to prepare or manage such information in an Excel file and import it automatically into the application.
The default values of all export settings can be customized in the "Settings/Export" tab.
ETIM version – products are exported by default in the current version of the ETIM. You can select a previous ETIM version.
Data export format – the default formats of exported files is BMEcat ETIM 2005 (XML file). Besides, the following formats are available:
- Standard ETIM data – Excel file with ETIM classification only (ETIM codes of elements are used)
- ETIM data – Excel file with ETIM classification only (ETIM names of elements are used)
- BMEcat data – Excel file with all BMEcat parameters but without ETIM information (only ETIM class codes)
- ETIM-Mapper data – Excel file containing only internal ETIM-Mapper product information (labels and technical description)
- Product cards – PDF file product cards for maximum 50 products
Files are exported in a compressed form (zipped). In all formats, empty ETIM values are marked with "-". Export of product data can be restricted only to products that meet predefined filter.
Export options – available depending on the chosen format:
- Version of "Guidelines" – the current version of the guidelines is set by default. For compatibility reasons, you can select a previous version of the guidelines
- Name of the exported file – default name of the exported file (in the export settings) depends on the selected format
- Languages – only selected at this point language versions of products will be exported (it concerns elements like: name, description long, keywords, etc.)
- Default language – the default language is placed in the header file BMEcat and identifies the main language of the BMEcat file
- Default price territories – determines the territories for prices, with an empty "Territory" field
- Exported price territories – the exported file will contain only prices that are conform to territories given in this field. Eg. if the territories for the specific price of the product is set to: EN, DE, FR, while the export option is set to: EN, FR, IT, the price will be exported with the territory EN, FR (the common part of price setting and export setting). Prices without any territory are always exported (regardless of the setting of this field)
- Only products that meet the filter condition – possibility to export only products which satisfy the defined filter condition
- Identifier of the catalogue – catalog identifier (information placed in the header of BMEcat file)
- Version of the catalogue – catalog version (information placed in the header of BMEcat file)
- Name of the catalogue – catalog name (information placed in the header of BMEcat file)
- Identifier of the buyer – identifier of the receiver of the catalog (information placed in the header of BMEcat file)
- Name of the buyer – name of the receiver of the catalog (information placed in the header of BMEcat file)
- Language of the file – in this format, the product are exported only in one selected here language version
Create a link to the current export – you can create an "export link" to the current export form. You can distribute such link to the data receiver, instead of sending him a catalogue file. The receiver will be able to download your file (no login needed) according to selected export settings. All generated exports links are available in the "Settings/Export links" tab.
Classifying screen is the main component of the application. It is divided into free parts:
Products – it contains a list of all user products. The elements of the list are: product ID, ETIM class identifier (if the class has been assigned) and name of the product. If the product has a label or photos, their presence is indicated by icons. It is possible to sort products, and filter them to restrict the number of displayed products, which greatly simplifies the navigation. To start the classification process, one product must be selected in this screen. For classified products, a colored dot is displayed close to the ETIM class identifier. This represents the state of the classification:
- green – product classified fully (values of all the ETIM features have been assigned)
- orange – the product is "partially" classified (at least one feature ETIM was specified, but not all)
- grey – only ETIM class has been assigned (no values for ETIM features has been given)
Missing dot and ETIM class ID indicate that the product has not yet been classified. Classification status helps you to identify products omitted or those with the incomplete description.
ETIM classes – it is used to select the class, appropriate to the selected product. Finding the appropriate class is a difficult task, even for a small number of products. Therefore, the software has a mechanism suggesting the possible ETIM classes, appropriate for the selected product on the base of his name and imported information. By default, the software displays classes suggested for a current product. Displaying suggested classes is indicated by the "match" icon. If the application can’t give any suggestions, the full list of classes is displayed and the "full view" is active. Suggestions are generated on the basis of the imported information. If suggestions are missing or are not satisfactory, the user can switch to full view of classes ("full view" icon). Displaying classes can be sorted or limited by filter.
Due to the fact that the choice of the appropriate class for the product is vital from the point of view of classification, it is possible to enlarge the ETIM Class window (by clicking the icon located to the right side of the filter input field) for convenient review of available classes. The enlarged window allows you to view classes, with their synonyms, codes and the names of the groups to which they belong, as well as the reference product photos. This makes it easier to find and select the appropriate class. Viewing of ETIM classes can be carried out in full mode or in a mode adjusted to the product name – only suggested classes and groups are displayed, and others are greyed out. This window also allows you to restrict of the classification domain to selected groups/classes (for ex. if the products are classified into one group and it is unnecessary to browse the whole ETIM structure). To do this, it is enough to select the appropriate group(s) or class(es). Limiting of classification domain is indicated by displaying of the icon in red. Due to the large number of classes, by default they are displayed in the aggregated form (in product groups).
Classification window – it is the most important part of the application: all the values for the ETIM and BMEcat description are entered here. The window consists of four tabs:
- ETIM – when the appropriate class is selected for the product, all the characteristics (features) required by this ETIM class are displayed. User’s job is to provide appropriate values for each feature. Any useful technical information that may be helpful for the ETIM classification can be imported from the external file as "technical description". This information is split into tokens that can be automatically or manually associated with the technical features required by ETIM class of the product. In this way, the application "learns" by associating tokens to the ETIM features, so the next time (for the next product of the same class) the corresponding value can be automatically suggested. The values suggested by the application are indicated by a light blue background. Suggestions can be turn on/off, separately for unclassified products and separately for classified products (button: "Show suggestions"/"Hide suggestions"). All fields which are automatically filled in the classification process must be accepted by the user
- General – possibility to add, modify or remove general information of product
- Order – possibility to modify ordering information
- Packing – possibility to add, modify or remove packing information
- Price – possibility to add, modify or remove pricing information
- MIME – possibility to add, modify and delete photos, datasheets and product safety cards
- Product card – displays complete information about the product in the selected language
This screen allows you to manage classified products. There are following tabs:
Products loaded – this tab contains a list of all the products loaded for classification. This tab allows you to filter products: you can use a set of filters for each column. Filter can be saved ("Save filter") – in this way, the list of products "seen" by a particular user will be limited to products that meet the criteria set in the filter. Some special characters can be used in filter: % (percent) or (underscore), denoting respectively any text or any single character. The tilde (~) is also a special character. If entered as the first character, means the negation of the filter. As a result, we obtain a complement of the products specified by the filter defined without this mark. For labels: the negation is done by selecting the check box corresponding to this option. The active filter is signaled – name of the currently selected filter is displayed in red. The filter will remain active until it is removed or modified. You can define several filters, but only one of them can be active. In the "Imported products" tab, it is possible to sort the products by a particular column or delete the selected product from the list. Group modification for multiple product is possible for certain features. To collectively modify such parameters of selected products, you must open the modification form (link: "Modification for multiple products"), then enter the corresponding values for the columns to be modified and click the button "Save", that appears when at least one of the form fields is modified). Columns for which values are modified are highlighted in white. Note: activating the form for any column without typing values can mean the propagation of an empty value. To deactivate such column, you should click on this column once again.
This screen offers also a possibility to add a new product manually (icon: ). To create a new product, you only need to provide its unique identifier. The remaining elements of the description should be completed in the Classification screen or by import.
You can also create a new product based on an existing one by copying its description, classification and labels – the so-called "product cloning" function (icon: ) is used for this purpose. It is required to provide only an unique identifier of the new product. The other elements are copied from the original.
Products by ETIM – list of classified products is available in this tab. Products are grouped according to the ETIM classification (group/class/products). A list of products classified in a single class helps to check the correctness of filling of individual parameters of every product. This tab allows you to sort, filter and globally modify parameters of selected products. The special characters: % (percent) or _ (underscore) can be used in the filter, denoting respectively: any text or any single character. The tilde (~) is also a special character. If entered as the first character, means the negation of the filter. As a result, we obtain a complement of the products specified by the filter defined without this mark. For labels: the negation is done by selecting the check box corresponding to this option. To collectively modify such parameters of selected products, you must open the modification form (link: "Modification for multiple products"), then enter the corresponding values for the columns to be modified and click the button "Save", that appears when at least one of the form fields is modified). Columns for which values are modified are highlighted in white. Note: activating the form for any column without typing values can mean the propagation of an empty value. To deactivate such column, you should click on this column once again.
Migration ETIMv6 → ETIMv7 (optional tab) – migration of product description from ETIM version 6 to version 7 the following situations are possible: change of class, loss of feature or value of alphanumeric feature, new feature or value of alphanumeric feature. In this section there is a list of classified products, affected by the migration (if there were no such products, this tab is not visible or is empty). They are called "products for approval". The following changes in the classification of products are shown:
- ETIM class change – a remapping of ETIM class is shown in the format: "Class ETIMv6 → ETIMv7 class" (for example: class of version 6 is not present in version 7)
- deleted feature within the class – such features are shown as "dimmed" on the screen
- new feature within the class – such features are highlighted in green
- deleted value of alphanumeric feature – such values are marked in red
- new value of the alphanumeric attributes – such values are marked in green (selection box has a green frame)
In this view, the user can filter products and modify values globally for multiple products (button "Save") and approve its migration (button "Confirm"). In this way, the modification and the approval of all migrated products can be done in one place. All the products approved by the user are no longer visible on this tab. It is recommended to review and approve all products affected by the migration. In order to verify the initial number of products for approval, click on the link "show initial list".
This screen allows to personalize the application parameters for each user. There are following tabs:
Interface – choice of language of the application interface.
Company – information about the provider of product data.
Classification – setting of the following parameters for product classification:
- Show "ETIM classes" window – the possibility to show or hide the window "ETIM classes". This window is useful in the process of selecting and assigning the appropriate ETIM class to products. When all the products are classified, user can hide this window to simplify the interface
- Show "Tokens" window – the possibility to show or hide the window "tokens". This window is useful for assigning values to ETIM features, based on information imported from an external file. When all the products are classified, or if any information on technical parameters has been imported, the user can hide this window to simplify the interface
- Token separators – tokens are field input information (for ex. from imported input file). These fields can be also divided into smaller tokens if separators are defined (they may be spaces, semicolons, commas, etc.). For example, in the case of imported box called "voltage" and its value: "230 V – 50 Hz", you can use a hyphen as a separator and instead of one token "230 V – 50 Hz" get two tokens: "230 V" and "50 Hz" to facilitate classification
- Load limit of products to be displayed – default value is set to 100. When scrolling products down, the more and more items are read and displayed by the software (in batches). The number of products read each time by the software can be set by the user. If the big number is set it will increase the waiting time needed to load the next batch of products, but it can help you reach more products when their list is very long (several thousand of products). In order to facilitate the search for products on the list we recommended to use filters (defined in the tab: "Products/Products loaded")
- Return to the last selected product – selecting this option allows you to display the recently selected product immediately after logging or when returning to the classification window classification from another view (eg. Products, File, Settings etc.)
- Default tab – allows to select the tab (ETIM, General, Order, Packing, Price, MIME or Product card), which is displayed by default when you select the "Classification" view
Product card – possibility to personalize of the product card contents. User can choose components that will appear on the product card. It is possible to select the following blocks of data: company header, MIME, general information, ETIM description, ordering, packing and pricing information.
Password change – user can change his password.
E-mail change – user can modify his e-mail.
Export – it is possible to set default values for all export options.
Labels – creation, modification and removal of labels, for product identification. The user defines labels by entering name, description, and selecting a unique symbol (colored badge with letter). If existing label is deleted, it is removed from all products marked with it. In addition to the visual indication of products, the label can also be used to filter products.
Filters – user can view, rename, delete or activate defined product filters.
Export links – it allows to view, edit and delete defined export links. Export links can be used by data receivers to download files without having to log on to the application. Export links can be created in the tab: "File/Export".
Disk space – allows you to place MIME files (photos, drawings, certificates, index cards, etc.) available for customers.
Bożena Rożenek, Zbigniew Rożenek
91-612 Lodz, Poland
+48 512 555 879
+48 42 209 14 39
+48 42 633 29 46
Some of our customers